Street and Property Naming and Numbering
As from April 1st fees for Street Naming and Numbering will be introduced. Further information can be found on our Fees page.
Street Naming and Numbering is a statutory function of NNDC. The relevant powers for local authorities are contained in Sections 64 and 65 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847, and Sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act of 1925. This legislation requires the Local Authority to prepare street naming and numbering schemes and to maintain a good standard of street nameplates.
The property information feeds into the National Land and Property Gazetteer which is the main address and property database used by government, utilities companies, emergency services and business.
Accurate street naming, numbering and properties naming is important to ensure quick responses for emergency services, efficient access to council services, correct address mapping and to enable accurate postal deliveries to your property.
If you have built a new property and it is not registered you will encounter problems arranging refuse collection, voting, delivery of items and arranging billings.
- Changing or Creating House Names
What to do if you want to give a name to an un-numbered house or change its name, or add a name to a house with a street number.
- Registering New Builds
It is important to register the address of a new building when work begins, so it is known about when people move in. Here's how to do that.
- Having delivery problems?
When you speak to companies, for example when ordering from the internet or arranging deliveries, they use the National Land and Property Gazetteer to find your address. Find out here how to update that information if your property's address has changed.
- Check my address details are correct
Check your address details are correct
- Find out more about my property
Find out more about your property
- Street Sign Maintenance Programme
Responsibility for the maintenance, erection and replacement of street name plates lies with the Environmental Health Department. Report damage or vandalism to street signs or request a sign for unsigned adopted roads.
Fees for street and property naming & numbering
- Planning & Design
- Building Control
- Conservation and design
- Planning Policy
- Street and Property Naming and Numbering
- Planning Applications, Appeals & Enforcement
- Obtaining Planning Permission
- Trees and Landscape
- Local Land Charges
- North Norfolk District Council to appeal wind turbine planning decision - 13 May 2013
- Opportunity to comment on development plans for Holt site - 09 April 2013
- Building excellence in the spotlight at regional awards - 11 March 2013
- North Norfolk District Council rebuffs Parliamentary criticism - 07 November 2012
- Historic lodge wins North Norfolk conservation and design award - 10 October 2012