About Building Control
The main purpose of the Building Regulations is to:
- Secure the health and safety of people in and around buildings.
- Promote conservation of energy.
- Provide access to buildings and facilities, for people of all abilities.
Building Regulations apply to many aspects of building work carried out to all types of properties, e. g. houses, shops, offices, factories, schools, hospitals and warehouses. They apply to minor works such as replacing windows and doors, removing an internal load-bearing wall, installing an additional toilet or converting the roof space to a room, as well as erecting new buildings and extending property. They may also apply when a property changes its use, e.g. from a house into flats.
Building Regulations approval is a separate matter from obtaining planning permission for your work. Similarly, receiving any planning permission which your work may require is not the same as taking action to ensure that it complies with the Building Regulations. For more information please refer to the Planning service
The Building Control Section offers:
- A professional, impartial and publicly accountable service
- Pre-application advice given on compliance with the requirements of relevant legislation
- Extensive knowledge of materials and construction methods to assist you in your scheme
- Extensive knowledge of local conditions
- Acknowledgment of Full Plan Applications within 3 working days and check them within 5 weeks
- Acknowledgment of Building Notices within 1 working day
- Site inspections the same day if requested before 10:00am
- Inspections whenever requested, once work has commenced.
LABC is a member organisation representing local authority building control departments in England and Wales and to which our department is affiliated. For more information www.labc.uk.com
We fully support the various LABC schemes (such as the LABC partner authority scheme and LABC House Type Approval) and work with LABC and its commercial partners to promote awareness of the various added-value products that can be available to users of our service.
The LABC added value products include:-
The regulation of Health & Safety of the construction process itself on most building sites comes within the remit of the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).
Clients, contracters and designers may have duties under health and safety legislation and may need to notify the Health & Safety Executive. Find out more about the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007).
If you are having construction work or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. To find out more -
We want you to be happy with the service you receive from our section. If you have any complaints, please be assured that they will be treated seriously and in a prompt manner. All complaints are monitored by the Building Control & Access Manager and the Council’s complaints procedure can be found in the Council information - visit the compliments, complaints and suggestions page