Help in finding a private rented home
There are now almost 4,000 households on the housing register, but we can only rehouse around 400 households each year with housing associations through the Your Choice Your Home scheme - we simply do not have enough housing association homes to rehouse every applicant. The private rented sector has therefore always been an important source of housing to many of our applicants, as the majority of households on the housing register need to seek other solutions to meet their housing needs.
In September 2011, we added privately rented properties to the Your Choice Your Home scheme by encouraging private landlords to advertise their properties through Your Choice Your Home. Private rented properties now appear alongside affordable rent and social rent properties ('Private Rented' properties appear with the 'PR' icon, above).
If you make a bid on a private rented property, we will contact you to check that it is affordable, and that it will suit your housing needs. We then provide a shortlist of eligible applicants to the landlords, who will contact those on the shortlist to arrange an interview and a viewing of the property. Private landlords retain the right to let the property to a tenant of their choosing, which is why we are unable to include private rented properties in our Feedback Report.
All private landlords will initially offer an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) for a minimum period of 6 months, which can be renewed indefinitely.
Other useful websites
Other useful websiteshttp://www.rightmove.co.uk/ – Helpful property buying/renting website
http://www.edp24.co.uk/ – Eastern Daily Press website with up to date property information
Rent a RoomDo you have a spare room in your property, and looking to share your housing/living costs with other people?
If you already have a lodger or are thinking about letting furnished rooms in your home, you can receive up to £4,250 a year tax-free. Visit https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home for more information about the Rent a Room scheme.
Are you a single person or couple looking for accommodation on a temporary basis only?
http://www.flatmaterooms.co.uk/ is a very helpful site for those looking to rent or advertise roomshare.
Emergency out-of-hours: 01223 849782
- National Debtline 0808 808 4000 www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/
- Debt Advice 0800 043 40 50 http://www.debtadvicefoundation.org/
- Consumer Credit Counselling Service 0800 138 1111 http://www.stepchange.org/
- Citizens Advice Bureau Debtline 01603 679678 www.adviceguide.org.uk/
- Community Legal Advice 0845 3454 345 https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/overview
- Credit Action www.creditaction.org.uk/
- Money Advice Service www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
- Advice Gateway http://www.myadvicegateway.org/GATEWAY
- Fool Money Advice www.fool.co.uk/
- Advice UK 020 7407 4070 www.adviceuk.org.uk/
- Chill4us (a forum for Carers and ex Carers) http://www.chill4us.com/news/index.php