Whether you are a home owner, private or housing association tenant, or have no accommodation of your own, our Housing Services Team can offer advice to anyone who has a housing problem, and explore your housing options with you. The service is free of charge and confidential, and covers all sorts of housing issues, such as
- preventing homelessness
- how to deal with mortgage or rent arrears
- harassment and illegal eviction
- domestic violence and access to domestic violence alarms
- loss of tied accommodation
- loss of private rented accommodation
- debt advice
- relationship breakdowns
- claiming housing benefit
- assistance in completing a Housing Register application form
We aim, where possible, to prevent homelessness happening: if this is not possible, we aim to ensure that the best possible advice is available to assist you in securing accommodation. If you are homeless now or threatened with homelessness, it is important that you see a Housing Options Officer who will be able to assess whether North Norfolk District Council has a duty to secure accommodation for you. Click here for more information on homelessness.
For help and advice face-to-face, call into the main office - Housing can be found to the right of main reception. We aim to see customers as soon as possible, but there is a small yet comfortable waiting area if we are busy.
The reception area is accessible to customers with pushchairs/prams, in wheelchairs or with mobility problems. Although the advice desk and waiting area is open plan, a private room is also available.
If you prefer to call us first and make an appointment, we may not be able to offer this the same day unless you are threatened with immediate homelessness. Home visits to those with mobility problems can be offered - again, this may not be possible the same day unless the situation is urgent.
A factsheet on our Housing Options service, which provides advice and support to anyone who has a housing problem
Emergency out-of-hours: 01223 849782
- National Debtline 0808 808 4000 www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/
- Debt Advice 0800 043 40 50 http://www.debtadvicefoundation.org/
- Consumer Credit Counselling Service 0800 138 1111 http://www.stepchange.org/
- Citizens Advice Bureau Debtline 01603 679678 www.adviceguide.org.uk/
- Community Legal Advice 0845 3454 345 https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/overview
- Credit Action www.creditaction.org.uk/
- Money Advice Service www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
- Advice Gateway http://www.myadvicegateway.org/GATEWAY
- Fool Money Advice www.fool.co.uk/
- Advice UK 020 7407 4070 www.adviceuk.org.uk/
- Chill4us (a forum for Carers and ex Carers) http://www.chill4us.com/news/index.php