You are here :

Benefit for those under the age of 35

If you are a single person under the age of 35 your Housing Benefit will be restricted to the average rent value of a single room with shared use of kitchen, bathroom and living room.  Therefore if Housing Benefit does not cover your full rental charge you must make arrangements with your landlord to ensure any rent shortfall is paid.

This single room restriction will not apply if you fall into one of the following groups:

  • Your landlord is a Housing Association - however your rent could still be restricted if it is unreasonably high
  • You have a child
  • You have a non-dependant in your household
  • You are aged under 22 and were formally in care or in accommodation provided by Social Services under The Children's Act 1989
  • You are disabled (qualifying for the severe disability premium)
  • You live in a hostel

More information regarding these rules and the changes that came into effect from 1 January 2012 can be found in our Changes for people aged under 35 leaflet